The Medical Money Pit
moosensquirrel
2005-04-15 18:31:40 UTC

April 15, 2005
OP-ED COLUMNIST
The Medical Money Pit
By PAUL KRUGMAN

A dozen years ago, everyone was talking about a health care crisis. But then the issue faded from view: a few years of good data led many people to conclude that H.M.O.'s and other innovations had ended the historic trend of rising medical costs.

But the pause in the growth of health care costs in the 1990's proved temporary. Medical costs are once again rising rapidly, and our health care system is once again in crisis. So now is a good time to ask why other advanced countries manage to spend so much less than we do, while getting better results.

Before I get to the numbers, let me deal with the usual problem one encounters when trying to draw lessons from foreign experience: somebody is sure to bring up the supposed horrors of Britain's government-run system, which historically had long waiting lists for elective surgery.

In fact, Britain's system isn't as bad as its reputation - especially for lower-paid workers, whose counterparts in the United States often have no health insurance at all. And the waiting lists have gotten shorter.

But in any case, Britain isn't the country we want to look at, because its health care system is run on the cheap, with total spending per person only 40 percent as high as ours.

The countries that have something to teach us are the nations that don't pinch pennies to the same extent - like France, Germany or Canada - but still spend far less than we do. (Yes, Canada also has waiting lists, but they're much shorter than Britain's - and Canadians overwhelmingly prefer their system to ours. France and Germany don't have a waiting list problem.)

Let me rattle off some numbers.

In 2002, the latest year for which comparable data are available, the United States spent $5,267 on health care for each man, woman and child in the population. Of this, $2,364, or 45 percent, was government spending, mainly on Medicare and Medicaid. Canada spent $2,931 per person, of which $2,048 came from the government. France spent $2,736 per person, of which $2,080 was government spending.

Amazing, isn't it? U.S. health care is so expensive that our government spends more on health care than the governments of other advanced countries, even though the private sector pays a far higher share of the bills than anywhere else.

What do we get for all that money? Not much.

Most Americans probably don't know that we have substantially lower life-expectancy and higher infant-mortality figures than other advanced countries. It would be wrong to jump to the conclusion that this poor performance is entirely the result of a defective health care system; social factors, notably America's high poverty rate, surely play a role. Still, it seems puzzling that we spend so much, with so little return.

A 2003 study published in Health Affairs (one of whose authors is my Princeton colleague Uwe Reinhardt) tried to resolve that puzzle by comparing a number of measures of health services across the advanced world. What the authors found was that the United States scores high on high-tech services - we have lots of M.R.I.'s - but on more prosaic measures, like the number of doctors' visits and number of days spent in hospitals, America is only average, or even below average. There's also direct evidence that identical procedures cost far more in the U.S. than in other advanced countries.

The authors concluded that Americans spend far more on health care than their counterparts abroad - but they don't actually receive more care. The title of their article? "It's the Prices, Stupid."

Why is the price of U.S. health care so high? One answer is doctors' salaries: although average wages in France and the United States are similar, American doctors are paid much more than their French counterparts. Another answer is that America's health care system drives a poor bargain with the pharmaceutical industry.

Above all, a large part of America's health care spending goes into paperwork. A 2003 study in The New England Journal of Medicine estimated that administrative costs took 31 cents out of every dollar the United States spent on health care, compared with only 17 cents in Canada.

In my next column in this series, I'll explain why the most privatized health care system in the advanced world is also the most bloated and bureaucratic.

E-mail: ***@nytimes.com

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search | Corrections | RSS | Help | Back to Top
moosensquirrel
2005-04-15 18:48:37 UTC
France may not be such a good example.

I seem to remember last year that a heat-wave killed quite a few people over there because among other things most of the doctors were on vacation (as is just about everybody in August).
Bernard Thomas
2005-04-16 06:45:55 UTC
Since Moose brought this up and was actually rather decent in a recent
comment, I'd like to have a civilized discussion about this. So here goes:

I think Mr. Krugman's final conclusion, that the problem is largely
administrative costs and bureaucracy is largely correct. But I have to
nitpick much of the rest of what he says.

Dr.'s salaries: American doctors DO make more than their colleagues in
most other countries. The fact is, they work a lot harder and put up
with so very very much more that I would readily argue there simply
wouldn't be enough people willing to do this work in this country
otherwise. I have observed medical practice in Canada, New Zealand and
Japan first hand. It has little resemblance to medical practice in
America. Lawsuits against doctors in those countries are rare and the
verdicts are very low by American standards. Almost no one second
guesses or challenges a licensed doctor's diagnosis or treatment plan.
Doctors know what they will be paid for any given service and can count
on getting paid for providing it every time (in the US, every different
insurer has a different payment schedule and doctors end up not getting
paid at all for many patients). Very few doctors in other countries
work the kinds of hours American doctors routinely do nor do they suffer
anything like the same level of stress. It's simply apples and oranges.

Aside from the cost of bureaucracy, I think we have huge costs for
redundency and alleged convenience in this country. In most foreign
countries, there may be one CT scanner and one MRI machine in a good
sized town and they are kept busy. In this country, hospitals compete
and so each hospital has to have all the latest equipment--and they have
to pay for it by what they charge. We have much much more expensive
high tech equipment than we need and the cost of all that is built into
the system.

We also do a lot in this country in the name of satisfying medical
"consumers" that simply isn't tolerated elsewhere. Most classes of
drugs have multiple examples. There are now 5 statins for cholesterol
on the market, say. Hospitals and pharmacies have to stock them all
because each health plan authorizes different ones. In national health
plans, they usually have the cheapest and the best (if they aren't the
same) and the others are special ordered if and when a physician can
justify use of an "off-formulary" drug. Stocking all those competing
pills costs money as does stocking the competing brands of cardiac
stents and articial hip joints and all the rest of it. But it does mean
that if patient x sees a commercial for "purple pills" on TV that
convinces them they need it and they can browbeat their doctor into
prescribing it, it is readily available at the corner drug store. It
wouldn't be anywhere else unless the government prescribing committee
had decided it really was the cheapest or best drug for a given condition.

And of course, the same government bureaucracy would have set the price
at a much lower level than the current US market price.

So I think, again, Mr. Krugman is onto something when he agrees with the
conclusion that "It's the prices, stupid" but it's also the sheer volume
and complexity and extremes to which we go to make medicine convenient
and consumer-friendly for those who can afford it.

Bottom line: we have too large a medical system, we pay too much for
each part of it and it is so complicated that we pay an extraordinary
amount just to keeping it creaking along.
moosensquirrel
2005-04-16 14:00:53 UTC
"But the pause in the growth of health care costs in the 1990's proved temporary."

When did the govt start letting drug companies advertise like McDonalds serving up Big Macs?
Bernard Thomas
2005-04-16 19:30:49 UTC
I don't remember but whoever made that decision should be shot. I
personally think it should be illegal to advertise a prescription drug
to the general public. If a non-physician cannot go out and buy it
without a prescription, it shouldn't be advertised, at least not on TV.
Constitutional issues might prevent a ban in print media but if they can
ban alcohol advertisements on TV they should be able to ban prescription
drug ads.
moosensquirrel

Bernard Thomas
2005-04-18 04:04:28 UTC
So you think these adds tell THE TRUTH? You think the "purple pill"
really is better than generic omeprazole?

You want to keep up with new drugs? Turn off the TV and subscribe to
The Medical Letter: http://www.themedicalletter.org/ . Docs who do
keep up do it by reading this publication but anyone can read it and
it's clearly enough written than anyone can understand it. It even
provides price comparisons which few other professional publications do.
Bernard Thomas
2005-04-18 04:17:15 UTC
You know, I've subscribed to The Medical Letter and read it for decades,
but I'd never read their "who we are" statement until now. This
discussion just caused me to do so and I'm even more convinced that you
should click off the ads and read it (I wasn't aware of the Consumers'
Union tie--I just knew every good doctor I know reads it and I've
The Medical Letter is a nonprofit organization founded in 1958 by
Arthur Kallet, the co-founder and former director of Consumers Union,
and Dr. Harold Aaron, a former medical advisor to Consumers Union.
Its newsletters, The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics and
Treatment Guidelines from The Medical Letter, publish critical
appraisals of new drugs and comparative reviews of older drugs. The
editorial process used for both publications relies on a consensus of
experts to develop prescribing recommendations that are completely
independent of the pharmaceutical industry. The Medical Letter and
Treatment Guidelines are, therefore, crucial resources for members of
the health care community to consult when confronted by the
advertisements and sales representatives of the industry.
The Medical Letter, Inc., is completely independent. It is supported
solely by subscription fees and accepts no advertising, grants or
donations.
moosensquirrel

Bernard Thomas
moosensquirrel